UB Remains Top Producer of Graduates Managing Area's Largest Accounting Firms
Eleven of the 25 largest accounting firms in the Baltimore area are headed by graduates of the University of Baltimore’s Merrick School of Business and the UB School of Law—repeating the University’s rank as the single largest producer of top-level managerial accounting talent for area firms. The results were announced recently in the Baltimore Business Journal's 2012 Book of Lists.
"For several years now, we have seen our graduates take their place in the leadership of these major accounting firms," said Merrick School of Business Dean Darlene Smith. "Year after year, about half of the top 25 are run by UB graduates, and that is indicative of the effectiveness of our undergraduate and graduate programs in accounting. We're producing great graduates, and it shows in these results."
The leaders and their firms' ranking in the 2012 Book of Lists are:
- Jeffrey N. Berman, M.S. '96, CPA, CFP, PFS, managing partner, KBST&M, P.A. (#23)
- Jeffrey M. Coleman, J.D. '76, CPA/ABV, CVA, managing principal, Weil, Akman, Baylin & Coleman, P.A. (#20)
- Arthur E. Flach, M.S. '83, CPA, managing partner, Grant Thronton, LLP, (#15)
- Simpson H. Gardyn, M.S. '80, CPA, CVA, managing partner, Gorfine, Schiller & Gardyn, P.A. (#9)
- David A. Goldner, M.S. '83, CPA, CFP, CVA, managing partner, Gross, Mendelsohn & Associates (#15)
- H. Terry Hancock, B.S. '80, CPA, managing partner, Clifton Larson Allen LLP (#3)
- Donald N. Hoffman, B.S. '78, M.S. '84, CPA, and Jeffrey M. Kleeman, M.S. '94, CPA, co-managing partners, Hertzbach & Co (#10)
- Jeffrey Jacobson, J.D. '91, principal, Mister, Burton, Palmisano & French, Inc. (#22)
- Howard J. Rosen, B.S. '71, president, Rosen, Sapperstein & Friedlander (#18)
- Marc Rubin, B.S. '85, M.B.A. '86, managing partner, Berman, Goldman & Ribakow LLP (#25)
- Frank Savarese, B.S. '79, M.S. '86, CPA, CFP, managing partner, Weyrich, Cronin & Sorra Chartered (#23)
In addition to these managing partners, Gary Perlow, CERT '81, CPA, serves as the regional managing principal for The Reznick Group's East Region, which includes the Baltimore, Bethesda, Boston, and Tyson's Corner offices.
These leaders, and others like them, frequently return to their alma mater to speak to current and prospective students about existing conditions in the accounting field.
UB offers an undergraduate specialization in accounting and a upper-division certificate in accounting, and graduate business degrees in both accounting and taxation, as well as a post-J.D. program specializing in tax. A graduate certificate in accounting fundamentals is also available.