Chairs and Professorships Announced
The University of Baltimore's Merrick School of Business has presented chairs and professorships to nine members of its faculty. The school presented the awards during its annual Faculty and Staff Recognition Reception on May 9.
The newly appointed professorships and chairs are:
- Baltimore Gas & Electric Chair: Veena Adlakha, professor of management;
- CSX Chair: Hossein Arsham, professor of operations research;
- Doris and Robert McCurdy Chair: Kalyan Singhal, professor of management;
- Ernst & Young Chair in Accounting: Lourdes White, professor of accounting (third year of a three-year award);
- Frank Baker Chair: Jaya Singhal, professor of operations research;
- Harry Y. Wright Chair (Economics or Finance): Joel Morse, professor of finance; Bansi Sawhney, professor of economics;
- John P. & Margaret M. Thompson Professorship in Management Information Systems: Alberto Bento, professor of management information systems;
- J. William Middendorf Distinguished Professor: Dennis Pitta, professor of marketing.
In addition to announcing these chairs and professorships, Adlakha was presented with an award for "Outstanding Article of the Year," for "A Branching Method for the Fixed Charge Transportation Problem," in OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science (2010). Other awards for teaching and services included:
- the Chase Manhattan Bank Research Award in Economics and Finance: Hoang Nguyen, assistant professor of finance;
- the Dean Clifford C. James Chair for Distinguished Teaching: Peter Lynagh, professor of marketing;
- the T. Rowe Price Excellence in Teaching in Economics or Finance: Dan Gerlowski, professor of economics;
- the Dean Daniel Costello Service Award/Turner Medallion: J.C. Weiss, clinical assistant professor.
The Staff Award for Outstanding Performance went to Stephanie Danesie in the Office of the Dean.