Annual Student Awards
2015-2016 Academic Achievement Awards and Honor Society Induction Ceremonies
|(Left to right) Assoc. Dean Marilyn Oblak, Dean Murray Dalziel, Laurie Cole, Asst. Dean Lisa Park|
In a yearly tradition, the Merrick School of Business held its Academic Achievement Awards event in May. It’s an opportunity to celebrate the hard work of our students and send them off into the world to pursue their chosen careers.
During the ceremony, the 2016 Dean’s Award was presented to Laurie Cole, B.S. ’16. Cole was selected from a pool of undergraduate students who most clearly demonstrate high academic achievement, leadership and service.
Cole transferred to the University of Baltimore in the fall of 2014, and has made the most of her time ever since. She has excelled as an accounting major, making the Dean’s List with high honors each semester. She also is a graduate of the Accounting Honors program. Her many accomplishments affirm her dedication to the field of accounting and as an emerging leader. Cole has grown immensely as a person during her time at UB, finding moments to mentor up-and-coming accounting students, participating in the Maryland Association of CPAs’ Student Leadership Academy and recently as an inductee into Omicron Delta Kappa—the honor society for leadership. She was also to be inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma and Sigma Iota Epsilon.
As a former vice president of Beta Alpha Psi, Cole used her skills to develop a better communication plan and helped formulate ways to address the information gap to its membership. These abilities and more afforded her a coveted internship at RSM US, where she accepted a position as risk advisory services consultant, starting in July.
Cole’s academic achievements earned her Summa Cum Laude status at the spring 2016 Commencement.
Cole was not alone in receiving accolades during the event. The following students were awarded plaques and cash awards for their stellar achievements. Those who graduated in fall 2015 and spring 2016 were eligible for the awards.
- Accounting – Laurie Cole, B.S. ’16
- MACPA Outstanding Student Award – Muhammad Owais, B.S. ’16
- International Business – Denilson Pazos, B.S. ’16
- Management - Paul Simpkins, B.S. ’16
- Real Estate and Economic Development – Michael Culp, B.S. ’16 and Brendan Ferrara, B.S. ’16
- Finance – Kristen Ng B.S. ’15
- Charles Siegmann Information Technology Award – Kenneth Swearengen, B.S. ’16
- Human Resource Management – Andrele Cummings, B.S. ’15
- Peter Lynagh Marketing Practitioner Award – Ikechukwu Opaigbeogu, B.S. ’16
- Peter Lynagh Marketing Merit Award – Genevieve Feild, B.S. ’16
- Entrepreneurship Merit Award – Ashleigh Christopher, B.S. ’16
- Entrepreneurship Practitioner Award - Sakina Stamper, B.S. ’16
Honor Society Inductions
The Merrick School of Business inducted 101 students into the five business-focused honor societies during a May ceremony. To see who made the list and see some event photos, visit the webpages dedicated to our honor societies.