|Dean Murray Dalziel, Mihaela Ciulianu and Jerry Yu, Chair of of Finance and Economics|
2014-2015 Academic Achievement Awards
In a yearly tradition, the Merrick School of Business held its Academic Achievement Awards event in April.
The 2015 Dean’s Award was presented at the ceremony to Mihaela Ciulianu, B.S. ’14. The winner is chosen by the dean, who seeks out the Merrick School of Business undergraduate student who most clearly demonstrates high academic achievement, leadership and service.
Ciulianu earned her degree in Business Administration with a specialization in finance and was a vital part of the student club, the UB Investment Society’s success. Ciulianu maximized her educational experience in many ways. During her time at UB she immersed herself in the field of finance. She was the co-founder and president of the UB Investment Society and was an integral part of UB’s team that won the Baltimore/Washington regional round of the 2014 Chartered Financial Analyst’s Equity Research Challenge. In addition, she won the Mid-Atlantic Security Traders Foundation Scholarship.
In 2012, as a participant to the Clinton Global Initiative University, Ciulianu developed a plan to tackle the issue of financial literacy and was selected as one of the top 16 winners from more than 800 participants from all over the world. She was the recipient of the Gabriel Agguire Award for Outstanding Service and Superior Commitment to the University of Baltimore Community and was an active member with leadership responsibilities. Ciulianu is also a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, the National Honor Society of Leadership and Beta Alpha Psi.
Her academic achievements earned her Magna Cum Laude status at the spring 2015 Commencement.
The following students were awarded plaques and a cash award for their stellar achievements. We are proud to present these students as being the highest achieving in the Merrick School of Business in their academic program or discipline. They were selected by faculty in each department for their academic strengths and work as scholars. Those who graduated in fall 2014 and spring 2015 were eligible for the awards.
- Accounting - Taylor S. Wilson, B.S. ’14
- International Business - Laura W. Douglass, B.S. ’14
- Management - Teresina E. Palumbo, B.S. ’14
- Real Estate and Economic Development - Stephen M. Vilsack, B.S. ’14
- Finance - Mihaela Ciulianu, B.S. ’14
- Charles Siegmann Information Technology Award - Frank R. Pfeiffer, Jr., B.S. ’15
- Human Resource Management - Alison M. Kane, B.S. ’15
- Dr. Peter Lynagh Marketing Practitioner Award - Troy W. Pritt, B.S. ’15
- Dr. Peter Lynagh Marketing Merit Award - Troy W. Pritt, B.S. ’15
- Entrepreneurship Merit Award - Alex Greif, B.S.’15 and Susan Plasterer, B.S. ’15