Fifteen Years and Counting: University of Baltimore Alumni Continue to Lead the Area's Top 25 Largest Accounting Firms
Merrick School of Business Graduates Outpace Other Schools' Alumni by Considerable Margins
Every year since the dawn of the new century—and arguably, for many years prior to that, before the statistic was even available—the University of Baltimore has produced the largest number of graduates who go on to top-level positions in the Baltimore region's largest accounting firms. UB alumni outpace their colleagues from other area schools in this endeavor, consistently leading in 10 or more of the 25 largest firms, year after year.
During the past 15 years, UB has had about 26 alumni in leadership roles at these firms, according to data published since the year 2000 in the Baltimore Business Journal's annual Book of Lists. In this period, UB has been a top producer of alumni leaders in accounting, with one or more of its graduates in the position of managing partner or its equivalent. In 2013, the University had its highest number of alumni represented, with 13 in the survey of the top 25 largest area firms. The 2015 edition of the Book of Lists marks another banner year, with 11 alumni represented. This far surpasses the representation of accounting graduates from other area institutions.
Taken all together, UB's record of achievement signifies an understanding between the University’s accounting students and the profession in which they aim to compete: UB is not only teaching the science of accounting—it's also teaching the business.
"The numbers absolutely bear it out: We produce leaders in this profession," said Merrick School of Business Dean Murray Dalziel. "With decades of experience, by now it's in our DNA when it comes to delivering the right mix of accounting theory and practice. But we're also a key part of accounting's professional network, as well as a hub for activities, career strategies and more. If you have the talent and a passion for accounting, and you believe you could someday lead a company, in this region UB is where you want to pursue a degree and get your start."
The leaders and their firms' respective ranking in the 2015 Book of Lists are:
- Jeffrey N. Berman, M.S. '96, CPA, CFP, PFS, managing partner, KBST&M, P.A. (#23)
- Jeffrey M. Coleman, J.D. '76, CPA/ABV, CVA, managing principal, Weil, Akman, Baylin & Coleman, P.A. (#14)
- Arthur E. Flach, M.S. '83, CPA, managing partner, Grant Thronton, LLP, (#16)
- Simpson H. Gardyn, M.S. '80, CPA, CVA, managing partner, Gorfine, Schiller & Gardyn, P.A. (#10)
- David A. Goldner, M.S. '83, CPA, CFP, CVA, managing partner, Gross, Mendelsohn & Associates (#11)
- Donald N. Hoffman, B.S. '78, M.S. '84, CPA, and Jeffrey M. Kleeman, M.S. '94, CPA, co-managing partners, Hertzbach & Co (#8)
- Jeffrey Jacobson, J.D. '91, principal, Mister, Burton, Palmisano & French, Inc. (#22)
- Gary Perlow, CERT '81, co-managing partner, CohnReznick (#4)
- Howard J. Rosen, B.S. '71, president, Rosen, Sapperstein & Friedlander (#17)
- Frank Savarese, B.S. '79, M.S. '86, CPA, CFP, managing partner, Weyrich, Cronin & Sorra Chartered (#21)
In its undergraduate accounting specialization, UB offers expertise for careers in public accounting, banking, financial analysis, credit management, government, nonprofits, and more. On the graduate degree side, the M.S. in Accounting and Business Advisory Services is a specialized program built for both current accounting professionals and career-changers.